Thursday, October 25, 2012

Megan's unexpected early birthday lunch at Three Bags Full.

There are quite a number of common names when you mention cafés in Melbourne: Manchester Press, Proud Mary, St. Ali, etc. Among those popular names, Three Bags Full is probably one of them as well. Megan was really shocked to hear that I've not been there, so she decided to take me there for lunch.

Three Bags Full
60, Nicholson St, Abbotsford VIC (Richmond)

03 9421 2732http://www.threebagsfullcafe.com.au/
Mon-Fri, 7am - 5pm, Sat-Sun & public holidays, 8am - 5pm
[ tram 24, 42, 109, stop 20 (Lennox St/Victoria St) ]

Three Bags Full on Urbanspoon

I liked the place the minute I stepped in. The place had pretty deco and people who served us were really friendly; about 4 of them flocked to us to serve us with big smiles on their faces.


Ngaww, how cute. They had a sheep motif going on, which probably explains the lamb by their name cards.


A small section of their café was for their retail goods: coffee beans, granola, keep cups, even loaves of freshly baked bread.



I love cake displays. I really do.


I don't know, is that supposed to be a weighing scale? Their cupcakes looked so good, especially the flourless chocolate cupcake! Too bad I was too full from lunch to order one for dessert.



I was trying to figure out what coffee machine they were using, since there wasn't any brand name on it. Judging by the hooked steam wand, it's probably a Synesso but I can't be too sure.



Soy chai latté, $4.30.

Megan's primary choice as I've noticed. Personally, I don't like chai, it's far too spice-y for me. 


Soy latté, $4, Long black/Double espresso (not shown), $3.50.

The coffee was alright. Not the best, but definitely not bad. Maybe it's because I've had coffee at Patricia's (coming up soon!) and it's still in my head and any other coffee pales in comparison.




Ricotta hot cakes with baked fruit and orange infused ricotta, $16.50.

Of course, Adam had something sweet to eat. It looked amazing the second it was placed on the table with the rhubarb and strawberries all over. Adam and Iryan really enjoyed it and upon tasting it, so did I; but we all agreed that the hotcakes were a little too thick and cake-like. 



Zucchini and pea fritters with creamed feta, red pepper coulis, bacon and herbs, $15.

It was one of the specials for the day. Megan said it was really good, but she was too full to finish the portion. I'm guessing she's a really small eater, cause I would've walloped all that in 10 minutes.. And red pepper coulis, how cool is that?




Atlantic eggs on toast - poached eggs, smoked salmon and hollandaise, $15.

Amanda's choice, according to Iryan, looked the best. And honestly, it looked really good despite my mini fear or looking at watery yolk. Iryan had a taste too and both him and Amanda said it was good.




Roasted field mushrooms, garlic, rosemary, goat's cheese and almond dukkah on toast, $15.

Of course, when I saw this, i knew i had to order it. They gave heaps of mushrooms (but of course, there's no such thing as too much mushrooms to me) and a generous serving of goat's cheese. The mushrooms were roasted and seasoned really well, and the almond dukkah complimented the cheese.



Overall, quite honestly, I really, really liked the place. I wouldn't say that their coffee is the best, but for food, definitely, hands down, the best. I was really disappointed when they told me they've completely sold out their Twice Baked French Toast, so I'm definitely going back there to try that. And also cause Jason hasn't had the chance to go there.


By the way, happy early birthday Megan! I hoped you enjoyed lunch as much as I did (though you did say it was one of your favourites, so yeah you probably did). Here's to great food and coffee, and many more café outings, since you're probably the one person who loves cafés more than I do. :)

Food: 9
Coffee: 6.5
Ambience: 8
Value: 7
Staff: 8

ERRRRMMMAAAAGGGGAAAADDDD I MET JIN, REUBEN AND MARIANNE HEEHEE
may.

No comments: